Sunday, May 15, 2016

Mother's Day

This post is a week late but because I was spending the actual day with my mom last Sunday, which is how it should be ;)

I love art. My love stems from formal education and art museums to galleries, friends, the internet and really, anywhere you can find art, which is everywhere. The styles are vast the talent endless.

I have had wonderful teachers over the years and all of them have left a lasting impression, but where did my love for art start?

My mother, of course.



She bought me my first how-to-draw book when I was a 4th grader after a fellow artsy friend at school brought me hers to look at. She drove me to clay pits to get fresh clay and supplied me with endless art supplies and support. She put up with me dulling her scissors, commandeering her fabrics and making a general mess in the name of art. She also took my siblings and I to the library once a week to fill up on books, which is how I fell in love with reading and then writing.

An artist in her own right, I discovered my mother's high school sketch books when I was a teenager and was surprised. While she had tackled ceramics, was a pro at stained glass and a master seamstress, I never saw her draw.

How sweet are these portraits she did of her school friends?



And so as I prepare to release my third independently published book, I have to say thanks to my mom. I am blessed to have been raised by parents who encouraged creativity and gave me the courage to tackle such things as Happy the Hodag.

Thanks mom, I love you to the moon and back.